Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Wallpaper Dilemna Part 2...


Ok so here is our bedroom wall that my dilemna is about. The more I think about it the more convinced I am that these walls need some drama. Thanks so much for all the encouraging comments!! (p.s try to ignore my crumpled duvet cover straight off the line - I've never been one to iron bedding - its all too much for my weak arm muscles!!)

Below is a close up photo of our headboard. Hubby and I made this. I have actually always always wanted a domed headboard ever since the headboard in the spare bedroom that Jack Nicholson slept in in "somethings gotta give" (see photo below - fyi I LOVE that entire house as does it seem everyone). Anyhow we decided we couldn't afford my dream headboard just yet so we decided to make one in the interim. The advice we received from an upholsterer was not to attempt amateur doming, so we just went with this simple headboard. Its a tad hard to see in the photo but its a raw finish upholstery fabric in a linen colour with a bluey silver grain running through it. It was so easy to make - just board, foam, batting, fabric and staples. As you may be able to tell though we never really got around to working out how to staple the corners properly. After much heated discussion over techniques (one wanting to cut fabric, one wanting to not cut fabric) we decided to just staple the silly thing quickly and be done with it ...



Image courtesy of hooked on houses

Opps I have seriously gone off topic!!! See below the chair in my room I am madly in love with. This colour willl be the inspiration behind my eventual wallpaper choice. I sooooo wish I had a pair of these chairs but they stopped making them in this colour (the photo doesn't do justice to the colour it really is quite blue tinged).




Anyway it seems my decision is made and I now need to hunt out the wallpaper!! I also need to decide if the wallpaper plus a photo/art wall above the bed might be too much? Also whether to do just the one wall or the whole room? I don't want to close the space in too much. Hmmm decisions decisions!!!

Ok to finish off this post I wanted to show this photo. How beautiful is this.......


Image courtesy of La Dolce Vita

I wish I had a huge dressing room all to myself to house a little pampering set up like this but we had to stick with a basic his and hers walk in wardrobe (boring!!!!). This means my dresser for makeup and jewellery sits in the main bedroom and it happens to be the dresser I've had since 5 years old (see below).....


I've decided its time to upgrade and I will use this little corner of our room next to our ensuite to recreate the beautiful spot in the photo. Maybe a chair like one of these from La Maison (the same place I got my blue one) will help...






Ok lovelies. Enough from me, time to browse all your gorgeous blogs!!

Olivia :)

5 comments:

  1. Nice work Olivia. You did a great job on the headboard. I love your chair, great colour. I would love to see a bit of that in the wallpaper. Why not do it??? If it looks dreadful just take it down;) I too love that house from somethings gotta give. Thanks for reminding me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a domed headboard - I bought it from Freedom Furniture and it wasn't expensive at all. Only thing is, I bought it about 3 years ago. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done with the headboard...gotta feeling I'm going to have to get hands on too....budget just doesn't seem to be elastic enough!!!

    Mrs C x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olivia, I am really loving your chair and the drawers you've had since you were little...that's so great! Looking forward to seeing your choice of wallpaper...such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see the wallpaper. Here's an article from Martha Stewart about how to make the type of headboard you're after - http://www.marthastewart.com/article/headboard She made it look easy, but she is Martha Stewart..Rxx

    ReplyDelete