Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Frames Frames Frames


My darling daughter Mila at 3 months old in an antique look custom frame


My husband thinks that I am obsessed with framing things and well he might be right but I just think when something is special (be it a photo, drawing, artwork etc) why not frame it? and why not go big??? I just love supersized frames against bare walls. They are an artwork in themselves.

The dilemna though is...price. In order to go big frames will usually have to be custommade and that means pricey. I hardly ever find a great 'off the shelf' frame larger than an 8x10 inch photo slot. What I have done over the last few years is invest in a few pricey custommade frames but then also raid discount stores and bargain bins for all other frames to even out the cost. I have posted some photos below of examples of frames in my home, you may or may not have guessed the pricey$$$ compared to the bargain bin$......

Set of 3 custommade antique look frames to house these gorgeous shots taken by the massively talented Karen Flett at Photofever. Each frame is about 20 x 30 inches (see above for closeup). Pricey $$$


Custommade frame to house this lovely painting that Kent's grandmother who has since passed away painted for him of his family farm as a young boy. I had it re-framed as a surprise for his birthday. Pricey$$$ but well worth it.

This is the jersey Kent wore when Waikato (his rugby team) last won the Ranfurly Shield (that's a big big deal for any non NZers reading this). This was a xmas pressie and was super pricey $$$ however I also framed some rugby medals alongside it and I did this with some $6 frames that were deep set so easy enough to work my magic on and get the medals to fit in...bargain$.

This is my favorite photo EVER. The frame was a bargain buy at $10. It is actually a certificate frame. So is the one below that I used to frame the sketch my wedding dress designer, Kate Dowman, did of my dress. I'm waiting to blow up a photo of me in my dress to go along side it before I hang this.



These frames were great bargains$ at only $20 each on sale at a local photo print shop. I think there were a mistake order or something. They are at least 16 x 20 inches and do a wonderful job housing my 3 favourite wedding photos.



My latest bargain find $30 on sale at Ezibuy!!! oh how I love a bargain $. The frame is like antique architraving. I'm yet to put photos in it.




This was pricey$$$ but it matches the colours I have in Mila's room so I couldn't resist.



This last photo was neither bargain or pricey if I remember rightly but I just wanted to show how some of my favourite photos are just of the simple things like this close up of the detailing of my wedding dress (I promise I'm not quite as wedding obessed as it might seem).

At the moment even though our house is almost overflowing with frames I have no plans to stop. My latest project is to create a photo/art wall in both Kent's office and above our bed in our bedroom (although I am slightly worried about the frames going south in the night as that could hurt!!). I have to twist Kent's arm on the office wall though. I want it to be all about us and our achievements but he is refusing to let me frame a recent article about him in the NZ rugby magazine about his ability to play professional rugby and run his landscape construction business. Arggggh I'm just proud but he thinks its lame to frame (sorry about that blatant rhyme). Anyway I have been collecting loads of examples of photo/art walls and here are some I recently added to that collection....so pretty!!!


Sourced from Design Formula (along with next 4 photos)






Sourced from cool photo ideas along with next photo



Sourced from apartment therapy.
Ok enough from me. See you soon. p.s I'm so excited by my new followers, including A-M!!!! yah
Olivia :)

8 comments:

  1. Oh here I am. I'm sitting at the computer doing incredibly boring paperwork so welcome the distraction. Well what you haven't included in this great frame post isn't worth knowing. Very topical for me at present as I have just received in the mail today 3 beautiful Cape Cod Architectural watercolour prints from an artist in the UK. Need some beautiful frames for them. I think your photo wall ideas are going to work beautifully. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the frames in your home. The sketch of your wedding dress , lovely idea to display. How gorgeous is Mila !
    Funny just this morning I saved a image of a wall of framed pictures that I liked. I have so many photos waiting to be framed or frames waiting to have the photos enlarged for. You have inspired me today to make it the top of the to do list. The aim by the end of next week !
    Lets see if I can do it (now I have put it out there in the universe).
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly have talent when it comes to framing! Wish I did, maybe I can learn from your lovely examples. I especially love the frames in the first and second images. And your photos are so lovely, thank you for showing us your gorgeous family. The little sneak peaks of your house look fabulous too, you must show us more! Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have a black and white photo wall at my entrance, our house is soo small we have run out of wall space and i have art and photos sitting in boxes in the garage.the office is a perfect place for displaying achievements, the waikato times will let you purchase photos that they have published, i have bought a few from craigs rugby days. when jesse was born i got him a size 2 waikato jumper and had his birth date and full name embroided on the front and had it framed just like craigs ( and kents one) very cute for rugby kids, i want to get one for emerson but red/yellow and black dont go in her girly room. i am also chomping at the bit to see more of your lovely house!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great frames. I think we all have so many things lying around when they should be up on the wall so we can admire them.
    Great post. I look forward to coming back to visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all for visiting!! Yes I will definitely post photos of our house over the coming weeks its just too much of a bombsite at the moment to photograph!!! I've had a busy day and now look forward to catching up on everyone's blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Followed A-Ms link to you. How timely. On 13th a friend is coming over to hang pictures, painting plates etc and I have been thinking where to put them...no more google searching for me
    The Waikato is a beautiful area, I am NZ born and made it to my early teens before we came to Australia.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely job you have done with all your frames! So happy to have found your blog, I look forward to following! xo

    ReplyDelete