Monday, April 12, 2010

Wallpaper Dilemna! Part 1

Image courtesy of La Dolce Vita
How GORGEOUS is this!!!!!!

I love wallpaper but I'm terrified of it. I think my fear comes from the number of times I have assisted in house renovations where I have had to strip layers of hideous wallpaper away. I am scared that I will ruin the lovely paint finish of our brand new walls and that once wallpapered always wallpapered. I know that if done properly the finish of the walls should remain fine but still 'work' would need to go into restoration should my love affair with wallpaper end. So basically I'm being lazy.

The dilemna is raised particularly with regard to our bedroom. The cream walls are just really starting to bore me and I really really really want to liven the space up with at least a feature wall. My colour scheme in there is fairly neutral with silvers and blues thrown in (including a gorgeous silvery blue velvet chair that Mila bought for me for Mother's Day with the help of her Daddy of course) so I'd like the wallpaper to bring out these colours (i'll post some photos of our bedroom & the chair in wallpaper part 2 - I was a tad too busy to take photos today). I want something classic but a touch dramatic like maybe a silver damask or perhaps a bold stripe - check out these examples....



Vision Wallcoverings - Indocine Silver Fox - I have a sample of this but I'm still very unsure.


Nina Campbell - Cremonia, I've seen this in person and its gorgeous the photo doesn't do it justice, hmm but do I want this bold??


Any advice on whether I should take the plunge and go for wallpaper?? I wish someone would invent stick on wallpaper like the art decals that just peel off. That way I wouldn't worry so much about the decision being so permanent. In the meantime while I ponder lets drool over these lovely wallpapered bedrooms.....



Image courtesy of little bits of lovely (along with image below)

Image courtesy of House to home UK


Above 3 images courtesy of a room for everyone

I'll try and post photos of our bedroom tomorrow - along with a bit more bedroom inspiration.


Olivia :)

7 comments:

  1. Oh I love the silvery ones. I remember wallpaper from my childhood bedroom. I loved it. But, as a grown up suffer the same hesitation as you. Every now and then I pose to my husband the idea of wallpapering the angled chimney wall behind our lounge fireplace. He is still not convinced. I'll keep working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you have got to do it. It's brave, it's bold and adventurous and you are all of those things!
    A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do it, do it...and then show us all how wonderful it looks so we're brave enough too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say do it, it's only one room, or one wall! Rxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been having the same thoughts about wallpaper. I havent recovered from my childhhood wallpaper experiences. I want to be brave , my only plan so far is to put it on the wall in the walk in robe when we get to the bedroom makeover. If you do it maybe then I could come 'out of the closet' so to speak.
    Karyn x
    P.S I do love the blue & the grey 7th image

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lou, I think putting up any wallpaper is bold and makes a statement no matter how subtle the colour or the pattern. I think the wallpaper in the fourth and the seventh images would be in keeping with the style of your house. The contrast between the wallpaper and your cream walls will be instant, yet soft enough to ease you into living with this wallpaper thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Olivia, my name is Maddie and I have a blog (www.lilmagoolie.wordpress.com). Your friend Vanessa suggested I contact you because you held a fabulous birthday for your daughter recently. I would love to feature it on my blog. If you are interested, I can be emailed at lilmagoolie@gmail.com. Sorry to leave this in your comments but I can't find your email address :-)

    ReplyDelete