Friday, April 16, 2010

Basil & Mint

Our herb and vege garden - made with old railway sleepers

Just a quick post tonight to share a tip on my favourite herbs at the moment - basil and mint. I had never really thought to combine these two but recently my sister whipped up some homemade burger patties and they were DELICIOUS! her secret was fresh basil and mint. Since then I have been adding this delicious combination to absolutely everything I can including bolognaise sauce, warm potato salads, stirfrys, and pestos. So if you don't already do so, try mixing the two you will love it!

If you don't have a herb garden already and don't have the space for something like ours check out these ideas from pottery barn that I think would be great for housing some favourite fragrant herbs!

Olivia :)

7 comments:

  1. I wish I'd read this before I made the basil pesto with the last of the summer basil!! Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like your organised herb and vege patch. Our veges are all mixed in with the garden, which is fine, but sometimes I do like a little bit of order in all the chaos. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We grow lots of basil, always trying to come up with new ideas for using basil :)
    Over the summer, I made basil icecream, it was actually very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi olivia..love the herb garden..such a great idea. I see you are a new blogger...so am I. Come over and visit some time and say hi. Just love your home. Have you decided what to do with the wallpaper? Can't wait to see future posts. Kym X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore herbs and have many in my garden. I especially like the mint family. I have chocolate, spearment and apple mint out there right now. The smell coming off the pond is delectable!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I discovered basil & mint in a recipie for italian meatballs a couple of years ago , I was a little skeptical at first.But they are delicious ! Love your vegie garden , I hope to have my new kitchen garden up & running in 3 weeks time , hope mine will grow as healthy as yours.
    Have a great week.
    Karyn x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, I missed this post! I would have put your herb garden in my recent kitchen garden post. I really like what you've done, I'll have to figure out if we can fit something like that. It looks fantastic! Rxx

    ReplyDelete