Thursday, April 26, 2012

For Chace - Makeup Fundraiser Night



If I could redefine the word courage it would be Chace Topperwien and his family.   His parents are my heroes.   You can find out more about Chace through his facebook page.  I have followed his story (right back from the terribly unfortunate incident of his mistaken immunisation) as he is almost the exact age as my daughter Mila and it touched my heart back then.  To learn of his cancer was heartwrenching.

When I heard about their plight to the UK, I knew I wanted to do something to help raise what I could.  I entertained a few ideas but when my sister said she would like to help I thought why not just combine whatever talents we have.  She is a fantastic makeup artist (follow her on facebook) and while I'm on continued hiatus from being a lawyer I like to throw a party.

So throw a party we did.  It was a makeup demonstration night.  I themed it "What hue suits you?" (for anyone who doesn't know what "hue" means it is shade or tint.  According to my family this is not a word but according to me and the dictionary it is!!).  I went with a theme of pinks, reds & fushias teamed up against browns, caramels & golds to represent the most common makeup "hues!!".

I loved every minute of putting together the sweet treats table knowing this would be going towards such a great cause.  All attendees paid $30.  We also had a couple of silent auctions.  My parents auctioned a weekend for 4 their beach house accommodation and my mother in law donated some gorgeous jewellery from her very super cool Garden Art Studio.

At the end of the night all the sweet treats not eaten were bagged up for sale (coin donations).  It cleared the table and brought in lots more cash.  We raised almost $1300 in total.

I'd like to thank Denise at Dots n Spots for donating for the cause some lovely bits of party ware.  Also Alison Worth of Locavore (fine foods) for donating some lovely quince paste to be added to the sweets sale (they sell through the Saturday morning Cambridge markets).



I learnt to make these tissue pom poms from a Martha Stewart Tutorial found through the insanely gorgeous blog of Bella Cupcakes.  




My CRAZY good rocky road invention.  Cadbury milk chocolate & cooking melts mixed and melted, caramel marshmellows, honey roasted peanuts, hokey pokey and crushed homemade ricie slice.  


I don't rate the recipe I used for this red velvet cake.  I will try and conquer that cake another time.


I trialled a new piping technique for my buttercream icing.  Its not really what I was after but I was in a rush and still think the mini rosette was very cute.  I did this with a 1M tip but was recommended a 2D tip but couldn't find one for sale.  Bella Cupcakes has a great tutorial :)


Very cool dots n spots drinks dispenser.








I use my favourite ever chocolate cake recipe for these cupcakes.  I promise to separately blog the recipe along with the icing recipe.





Some of the volunteer models :)



All the scrummy goods going home with guests for $$$!!

The invite / flyer


Me and my Mum.  She was a model for the makeup and only has one eye made up with false lashes.  Love this photo :)  Love ya Mum.


Thanks to everyone who helped and came and supported.  All my love and well wishes go to Chace and family xoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment